Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

'So you want to become a pole dancer?' Your guide to choosing the right studio for you.

I still remember sitting in front of my computer and googling all the different pole studio's when I first decided to pole dance. It was a hard a decision to make with what, a whole THREE studio's to choose from. Yes that is sarcasm as there is now close to 30 studio's in NSW alone, making the choice at least 30 times harder.

So how do you know which studio is right for you?

This article is for all of those who want to pole dance but have no idea where to start, no idea what to look for and no idea what to ask. By the end of this article you'll have the knowledge and confidence to select the right studio for you and have the best experience of pole dancing that suit your needs.

Since I started pole dancing back in 2004 I have worked at five different studio's, each with their own style of pole dancing, culture and most importantly, experience. So don't be fooled into thinking that pole studio's are just like dance schools where you'll learn the same moves from experience dancers, the key to finding the right studio is research!

The main things that you should find out about the studio before you enrol are:

1. What style of pole dancing do they offer?

In only six years pole dancing has transformed substantially. Pole dancing is no longer the stigmatised stripping that most cynics think it is. There are now a variety of pole dancing styles available and if you don't find out what style the studio offers you may find yourself very disappointed.

Some studio's owned and operated by industry dancers have maintained the sensuality of pole dancing (without the nudity of course!), whilst other studio's focus more on the fitness side of pole dancing and therefore attention is afforded more on tricks. Circus and gymnastics has also had an immense impact on pole dance with some studio's combining these disciplines into their courses.

2. What experience do the teachers have?

If you want to learn from an experienced pole dancer and not just a former student who thinks that after taking a few courses they are now qualified to set up their own studio and teach pole dancing, it's essential that you find out what experience the teachers have.

Key questions are: Do the teachers have industry experience? Do the teachers hold fitness certifications? Do they hold any titles? What type of titles do they hold? Are they industry titles and or competition titles? Do any of the teachers perform at venues which you can see?

3. What is the culture of the studio?

Despite becoming a reputable form of dance pole dancing can still be intimidating, along with the culture of some studio's. If you don't feel comfortable scantly dressed in a bikini and would prefer to gain your confidence (which pole dancing is guaranteed to give you!) in shorts and a top, go to the actual studio! See what the students are wearing, talk to students and the teachers, and find out what demographic the studio is aimed at.

The culture of the studio is the main determinate of whether you'll enjoy your experience of pole dancing and be hooked, or whether you'll come away mortified and wishing you never went.

4. Is the studio actively involved in the pole community?

As modern pole dancing is a new form of dance that is continuing to develop, it's important that the studio maintains current with new moves and techniques. A great way for studio's to achieve this is by being actively involved in the pole community through events such as Pole Jam 2010.

Also, if you find yourself a natural pole dancer or are just plain obsessed, you might find that you've missed out on many opportunities to perform or compete if the studio isn't in touch with the pole community. For this reason, ask whether any of their teachers or students are involved in any of the numerous events or competitions that are usually held by other pole studios.

Pole dancing is one of the most confidence building and exciting forms of dance out there. Make sure that you get to experience this by researching the studio before you sign up!

1 comment:

  1. I wasted 4 years of my life at what I thought was an amazing and encouraging pole studio, always wondering why I was never really getting any better. I'd out-grown the instructor :( who, if I'd read this article years ago would have clearly stuck out as a bad choice of studio (the instructor was a previous student gone business owner). When I did finally leave they showed their true colours and that those whole 4 years were wasted when I plucked up the courage to move on to a new studio with more advanced instructors; they instantly turned their back on me and shut me out like scum, which I'd watched them to do other people who'd excelled too ironically...

    Now I'm trying to build myself up again in a new WONDERFUL studio. I love all the instructors I've had, I love their credibility, their ability, that although I have had such a crappy pole past they have not turned their back on me and are giving me a fair go :) I am so happy to be at my new pole school! I think everyone going to try pole dancing should read this before they get stuck in a place they can't get out of wasting away.

    ReplyDelete